Thursday, 15 April 2010
Something topical
Or
What’s my opinion on politics?
As the first live television political debate between the three party leaders this country has seen goes on, I can’t watch it as alas, I’m without a TV license. But, no matter, for I shall watch it on catch up, as is the way of these modern technologically turgid times.
To be perfectly honest, I’m quite pleased that there is a live debate going on. This country seems to have adopted a presidential style, despite the UK being one of the few systems inherently not presidential. There are a million reasons for the change, but one that stands out for me is the rise of political publicity means that not only do large personalities like Boris Johnson and John Prescott gain notoriety but the party leaders have been positioned as the ‘Top Dogs’ of their party as opposed to the nominated leader. People don’t seem to understand that voting for your local MP means voting for… your local MP, oddly enough. When you’re in the voting booth, you’re not going to be putting an X next to the name of Brown/Clegg/Cameron/Griffin/Farage/Lucas (delete as applicable, look up who you don’t know), but next to the poor fool who wants to represent his party in your constituency. But, as the media’s view of politics is only of the people at the top of the party (which, don’t get me wrong, makes sense), people seem to have forgotten about how Parliament works. If we strip that away, however and assume that the media’s view now represents the people’s (bound to happen one day), we see an ocean of hungry voters looking for more information about who may run the country in a month’s time. I like the live debates as it’s an opportunity to really witness the politicians first hand. No editing, no Photoshop, no spin, just the words that come out of their mouths. History shows us that televised debates can make or break a politician, just look at Nixon, Kennedy, even Palin. So if we’re going to assume a stance of presidential politics, we may as well do it wholeheartedly. Put our backs into it and whatnot.
Yes?
I’m not going to tell you who I’m voting for. You can ask in the comments, you can ask on facebook, you can ask when we’re face to face and I still won’t tell you. Mainly because it’s none of your business. My politics, beliefs and views are my own and though I don’t mind discussing politics or listening to others views, my own are private.
That being said, I will tell you that despite the fact I know that at least 70% of all votes are pointless, I will still vote and be counted. I think voter apathy is astoundingly offensive to our entire culture and I frown upon it highly.
And that is what you’re getting from me on politics. The less said, the better. The internet is already saturated with misinformed opinions and lazy but loud protesters. I’ll save you the bother of reading any more of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
'I think voter apathy is astoundingly offensive to our entire culture and I frown upon it highly'
ReplyDeleteYES!
People died for our right to democracy, and to have (a kind of..) say in what happens with our country.
Those who don't care about it, certainly would if they lived in Afghanistan or another similar place
So...
ReplyDeleteWho are you voting for, then?
*grin*