Let’s give you a brief outline of me, for that’s what the whole thing will concern itself with, in the long run.
Things I like:
Passion. Intellect. Drive. Determination. Creativity. Courage. Swearing. Talent. Originality. Masochism (mine in particular). Simplicity. Culture. Complexity. Intelligence. A challenge. Manners. Grammar. Good hair. The female form. The male form. Exploration. Humour. Philosophy. Kink. The smell of books. Very loud music. Individuality. Good harmonies. Rants. Equality. Bitchy Jones. Thinking. Beauty. Trying new things. Aesthetics. Karma. The riff at 2:33 in the song Better off the Guns ‘n’ Roses album Chinese Democracy. Lexis. The human condition. Words such as Defenestration and Malapropism.
Things I don’t like:
Bad grammar. Dullness. Boring people. Ugly people. Ignorance. Repetition. Melon. 1980’s pop. The easy route. Arrogance. Two-faced people. Patronisation. Lap-steel guitar.
As you can see, I like a great deal more than I dislike. I’m a very easy person to please really.
Almost.
I’ve placed myself under then label of Buddhist for the last 5 years, despite not going along with everything the religion offers. It just makes the most sense ideologically.
My favourite films are Life of Brian, Godfather, Dogma, Cruel Intentions, Six Degrees of Separation and V for Vendetta. I like them for a multitude of reasons. Different ones for each film.
My favourite book is Brave New World.
I’m a bit of a factotum. Or, to put more precision upon the point, I’m a jack of all trades, master of none.
My favourite thing to do in the whole world is think about myself. This isn’t because I think I’m in any way special, but my main interest, focus and thinking point is the human condition and understanding it as much as I can. I probably don’t do very well at understanding it, but where’s a better place to start at understanding people than at yourself? I heard someone say something a while ago that I don’t necessarily agree with but can draw from it analogically. “Why travel to other countries when there’s so much to discover in your own?” Now, I don’t go along with this as though I try to explore myself as much as possible, finding out where the fences in my mind are, I do try and gain as much insight into others and see what’s going on inside their heads to compare and contrast as much as possible.
I juggle. I enjoy the mental and physical challenge of it. I think it’s aesthetically pleasing. But the main reason I do it is I need something to take up my time. I started it just before my exams as a way to take a break from revision whilst still keeping the mind sharp and active.
My full name is Palmar Jack Glen Perkin the fifth. I sometimes get scared that that’s not actually my name, as I only have the authority of one shakily written family tree. I could actually be Palmar Jack Glen Perkin the fourth. When I reassess whether or not I’m scared by that I realise that I don’t care as some people chose to call themselves Lady Gaga and nobody bats an eyelid. So who cares if I’m the fifth or not?
I tell people I’m not scared of anything. To all tangible extents, this is true. There is no spider, no snake, no high height or clown that you can show me that I will act unreasonably to. The only thing that ever terrifies me and I have to push out of my head to function properly is dementia. The thought of not having my mind, the most important part of me (as far as I’m concerned), scares me to no end.
I don’t have an eye colour. I’ve never met someone who’s been able to tell me what shade they are.
I put out the image of being cool, calm and collected. Unflappable in the face of trouble. Strong willed. Independent. This isn’t necessarily true, but I think in my search and necessity to put out this image that people have told me I am for so many years, I have unwittingly taken these attributes fully.
I do not become attracted to someone by what they look like. I can appreciate beauty a great deal and can certainly understand an immediate sense of attraction, but the difference lies between seeing someone in the street and thinking ‘phwoar’ and reading three paragraphs of someone’s writing and thinking ‘I’m in love. I must shout it from the rooftops.’
I’m not even a little bit different from anyone and kidding myself otherwise is utterly futilitarian. That doesn’t mean I can’t try and make a difference though.
Go on, Stereotype me. I dare you.
I will put more things in more depth as new posts.
Thursday, 25 February 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment